Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Old Friends



Have you ever moved and left friends behind? The pain and heartache that occurs when leaving behind close friends can be devastating. I experienced that 8 years ago when we moved away from everyone we loved to venture into a new life 200 miles away from our home of 15 years.

The kids and I travelled those 200 miles, for five days to visit old friends. It's been a while since we were able to go and spend time with loved ones we left behind when we moved. What a treat to see three of my closest friends, spend the night in their homes and catch up on their lives. The scripture in Proverbs 17:17a says it best; "A friend loves at all times..." That was the gift awaiting us at each household.

It amazes me how true friendships grow deeper and closer with time. Yes, like fine wine (so I hear). I sat and listened to trials in their lives, shared challenges I have been facing, and laughed until I thought we would pee our pants. (you don't have to re-read that last line, I actually DID type that. Only close girlfriends would ever admit such a thing.). The Lord has blessed women with the ability to invest in one an others lives, despite time, distance, and even gray hair. I praise Him for knowing what we need and exactly when we need it.

I think good friends are like an old pair of worn, familiar slippers. It doesn't matter the season or the circumstances - the moment you slip them on you are covered in comfort. Thank you heavenly Father for giving us the gift of friendship! You always know how to bring a smile to our face!

No comments: