Saturday, August 2, 2008

Beary Legs



Our daughter Grace is a beautiful, rambunctious, and amazing girl! She returned from Bible Camp yesterday with stories of adventure and new friendships. She told us about the Bible stories she learned about and even had a few questions for us about the Holy Spirit and obedience.

We were thrilled about her excitement and experience at the camp. The next topic she broached was leg shaving? Our 8 year old daughter was asking us permission to shave her legs. What??!! What else were they teaching at Bible camp? I began to panic and I saw Kevin looking green around the gills. This was a conversation we thought we would have in several years-like when she was 20! When I composed my thoughts, I calmly asked Grace what brought this up? She told us that the girls in her cabin had noticed her hairy legs and told her she needed to shave them. Grace was completely un-phased by their comments as her brothers have sometimes joked about the “bear-y legs” God had given her. We have told her that she has an advantage in the winter months to stay warmer than the rest of us and have used it as an opportunity to share what God says about her in His Word. Psalm 139:13, 14 tells each of us; You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.

After hearing about the comments from her bunk mates we understood her request. When I dug deeper Grace confided in me (with a big smile) that she really didn’t want to shave her legs. She liked her legs the way they were and she didn’t want to risk being cold next winter.

No comments: