Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Day to Remember...




May is a special month for mothers. It is the one day every year where they are celebrated for their love, care, and commitment to their children. Speaking from a mother’s perspective, I look forward to this single annual event. This day is usually the only day I get a, “thank you Mom for all you do”, from my kids. Now don’t get me wrong, I have a great family, but gratitude is not something poured out generously from our three beautiful children’s lips. As a mother I tackle Everest sized mountains of laundry, chauffer every child to their prospective events, cook each meal, even when I hear constant complaining, and tuck cranky kids into bed at night and say prayers. Being a mother is the toughest job I have ever done, but also the most rewarding job I have ever done. When you are a mother, the days of being self absorbed are cast off. You can no longer take off whenever you feel like it, nights out with friends become few and far between, and your wardrobe often disintegrates into jeans and tee shirts (the days of designer clothing are gone). The truth of the matter is, that I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I have had fits of anger that would make a sailor blush. I have had bouts of frustration that have left me missing tufts of hair, and crying outbursts that could have easily made me a candidate for committal; all because I am a mother. This day is special. It allows me to feel appreciated. My kids give me breakfast in bed and though the toast is burnt, the eggs over done, and the orange juice diluted; I thank God for the blessing of these children. They bring joy and laughter to my every day. I couldn’t imagine my life without them.

On this Mother’s Day, please take the opportunity to express your love and gratitude to your mom. Though she would lasso the stars for you, it really will make her day
to hear that you love and appreciate her. Then say a prayer to God thanking Him for giving you the precious gift of a mother.

Before I sign off I need to say; “I love you Mom! You are an extraordinary gift from the Lord and I appreciate you more than words could ever express.”

Here are a few quotes from a few people you may recognize – enjoy!

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~Tenneva Jordan

The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life. ~Abraham Lincoln

There's nothing like a mama-hug. ~Adabella Radici

No one in the world can take the place of your mother. Right or wrong, from her viewpoint you are always right. She may scold you for little things, but never for the big ones. ~Harry Truman

A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb

No comments: