Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Darkest Night


I know I blog a lot about the "zoo load" of animals we have around our home, called pets. I have to tell you that though I cringe at cleaning the cat box, am hysterical over muddy paw prints on my carpet, and throw my hands up every time a new critter appears at our house - I have learned more about life's predicaments through these animal's crazy situations, then in my 15 years in ministry. This could be a slight exaggeration but it's not too far from the truth. Here is our latest blog casualty, Dozer. Just wait until you read my next blog about dumping 200 crickets in our son's room. Help me Jesus!

We have a beautiful 4 year-old, yellow lab named Dozer. He’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he certainly is the most loving dog a family could have. We named the big lug “Dozer”, because as a puppy he slept all the time, but as he grew and grew, and grew, his name became more appropriate. This canine of 105 pounds can knock everything over in his path with one wag of his overstuffed tail.

Last week Dozer had a mishap. Well, it wasn’t a mishap so much as a lack of good judgment. When the sun goes down Dozer is always the first of our three dogs to come in to the garage. It figures that this goofy dog is also afraid of the dark. When the sun goes down, he panics and heads for his dog house in the garage. I don’t know what he is afraid of, but his fear is very obvious. As we were getting ready to lock up for the night, we called the dogs in, and much to our surprise Dozer was not in the garage. We called for him, then called our folks who live nearby, (he often visits them, much to my mother’s dismay) but no one knew where Dozer was. My husband took the flashlight and hiked down to the barn, wondering if the dog was locked in with the 4-H pig. Our dog Molly ran along with Kevin, but then departed and headed over to a nearby culvert and began whining. Kevin walked over to find out what she was fussing about, and saw the dilemma. Dozer had chased something into the culvert, but was unaware that one end had been crushed together by a lumbering school bus (yes, Mr. McLean we need to talk about that). Dozer was stuck. He couldn’t back out the 13 feet behind him, and he couldn't’t move ahead to freedom. He was stuck.

My husband, father in-law, and our son, Parker, tried everything to pry that culvert open. But to no avail. I could see Dozer’s eyes, wide open, and obviously frightened, but there was no place to turn for comfort. I tried comforting him with my voice and even got my fingers in far enough to scratching the tip off his nose, but it was not enough. Finally, the guys took to a metal saw and began to cut. After an hour they were able to cut the opening wide enough to get Dozer out. You have never seen a happier dog in your life. Though his hips were stiff from the cold and being in the same position for several hours, he jumped around like a puppy. The culvert was his prison and his family was the bridge to freedom.

As we laughed and shook our heads at this crazy dog’s antics, I began to put the whole situation into “life perspective”. I thought about how many times I have felt like Dozer, stuck in a situation with no escape. These are times I have felt completely alone with nowhere and no one to turn to. I have heard story after story from women around the U.S, who have felt exactly this same way.

One woman recently told me, that her husband of 22 years was leaving their family for another woman who was 15 year her junior. She cried and couldn’t understand what had happened. I could only hold her and pray. I had another young woman tell me she was terminally ill with colon cancer and the doctors gave her less than a year to live. I held her and prayed with her. Another woman in India shared her despair when she had to sell her body to make money to buy food for her three children, after her husband was killed in a tragic auto accident, only months before. Just today, I had a friend tell me that an unexpected debt of $10,000 had dropped into their lives that needed to be paid in four days. The list goes on and on. A dark place, where there is no place to turn around and escape the circumstances.

Have you been there? I know I have. These situations often feel like the end of the world. We ask ourselves, “How will I make it out of this?”

Then the dawn comes or the metal saw, in Dozer’s case. Something to comfort you, an answer to relieve the load, something to ease the fear. When we can breathe again and we can see the light, there is a massive sense of relief. In retrospect, I see God’s hand. In each and every situation, I have watch the Lord move mountains, put money into bank accounts, bring peace despite bad news, and to provide when there appeared to be nothing available. As I comfort, pray for, and encourage women in these situations, I don’t expect my words or hugs to change their situation. I have no power, but I do have empathy. I pray with them because in the depths of my soul I know there is an answer. That answer is God. It may sound simple but in my vast experience of tough times, it has only been the Lord who has been my shelter, strength, and provider.

Precious friend, if you are experiencing adversity today and feel like you are lost in the dark; I hope that you will cry out to God. Your comfort may come through a Christian friend, or an encouraging word you hear on the radio, maybe it’s a warm smile from a stranger. Consider these things God’s way of telling you, you are not alone. Just like Dozer, being so completely afraid of the dark and stuck in the darkest of places, you have someone waiting to rescue you, Jesus Christ. He knows your name and loves you more than you can ever imagine. In fact He loves you so much that He died on a cross so that you could live in eternity with your Heavenly Father. Don’t underestimate what He is capable of, or what He is willing to do for you. He will always shine the light in your darkest hour and bring comfort through the fear.

"You light a lamp for me.The Lord, my God, lights up my darkness."
Psalm 18:28

No comments: