Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly


My computer crashed! Yeppers, two weeks ago it looked me in the eye and gave me a BIG raspberry! "Phhhttttt" I panicked, begging and pleading, apologizing for every wrong deed I had done to it. Did I take advantage of it? I believe so. But it wasn't in the way one would assume. I took advantage of the technology, enjoying its endless convenience and not realizing how much I relied on it.

I lost everything... this isn't the first time this has happened in our computer owning lives, however this is the most painful crash yet. Now many of you are scratching your heads and possibly yelling, "Back up, back up!" Yes, I understand your fervor. But for those of us who trust the promise of the manufactures that hard drive has an automatic back-up, we fail to understand that even a safety net can have a hole in it.

What I have learned from this debacle is that no matter what guarantees this world gives you, it truly holds no meaning. We can believe every well produced commercial made to evoke an emotional response. (Have you ever watched a Hallmark commercial and not cried or at least been moved to "almost" shed a tear??!!) We are placing our trust in people and a system that is known to fail - just like my computer.

There is only One we can trust fully, and that is Jesus. His word will never fall short, He will never go out of business or bankrupt. His promises endure forever. The Lord has never "crashed" on me nor has He ever failed me. He has given me a "life time warranty". He will fix everything that goes wrong in my life and give me a tune up when I need it. He keeps me in awe!

Next time you find yourself troubled by technology or simply disappointed in life in general, remember that the Savior of the world is with you. He will hold your hand through it and cover you in His amazing peace.

Excuse me now while I end this to go and "back-up" my work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jesus and Satan have an argument as to who is the better programmer.
This goes on for a few hours until they come to an agreement to hold a
contest, with God as the judge.

They set themselves before their computers and begin. They type
furiously, lines of code streaming up the screen, for several hours
straight.
Seconds before the end of the competition, a bolt of lightning strikes,
taking out the electricity. Moments later, the power is restored, and
God announces that the contest is over.

He asks Satan to show what he has come up with. Satan is visibly upset,
and cries, "I have nothing. I lost it all when the power went out."

"Very well, then," says God, "let us see if Jesus fared any better."
Jesus enters a command, and the screen comes to life in vivid display,
the voices of an angelic choir pour forth from the speakers. Satan is
astonished. He stutters, "B-b-but how?! I lost everything, yet Jesus'
program is intact! How did he do it?"

God chuckles, "Everybody knows... Jesus saves."